Just another site

OWA Outlook Web Access – 500 error, Forms-Based authentication fails to start

In the process of creating a DAG lab i noticed that once the servers were in a DAG cluster, I was not able to log onto OWA, the symptoms were:

  • User could authenticate, if they failed to enter their creds they were asked to try again
  • Once they had successfully authenticated a 500 error was dished out by IIS.

A little digging found that Microsoft Exchange Forms-Based authentication fails to start, a manual start sorted this out in the short term, however for a longer term fix I changed the service behaviour to Automatic (Delayed Start), it now starts of its own accord.

I experienced these symptoms with Exchange 2010, SP2 RU4.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: