January 23, 2013
Posted by on
In the process of creating a DAG lab i noticed that once the servers were in a DAG cluster, I was not able to log onto OWA, the symptoms were:
- User could authenticate, if they failed to enter their creds they were asked to try again
- Once they had successfully authenticated a 500 error was dished out by IIS.
A little digging found that Microsoft Exchange Forms-Based authentication fails to start, a manual start sorted this out in the short term, however for a longer term fix I changed the service behaviour to Automatic (Delayed Start), it now starts of its own accord.
I experienced these symptoms with Exchange 2010, SP2 RU4.